Saturday, April 28, 2012

Meet the Archaeologist

I spent half the day sitting behind a table at the USA Science and Engineering Festival, a gigantic event in the DC convention center. As you can see, I actually had a sign that said, "Meet the Archaeologist." My job, I think, was to tell people that you really can make a living doing archaeology. And to hand out brochures from the Society for American Archaeology explaining the various jobs and their educational requirements. I must have spoken to a hundred people. I was sitting next to folks from the Sweetbriar College School of Engineering who were handing out pink hard hats.

After my stint I wandered around for a while, looking for whoever was selling the cool science t-shirts I saw on many bodies, but the event was so big and so crowded that I never found a single t-shirt seller. I did, however, catch a few minutes of the Mythbusters blowing things up.

No comments: