Saturday, October 19, 2013

1,000,000

Sometime early this morning this blog logged its one millionth page view. Yippee! It has been only 13 months since we crossed 500,000, so the pace is accelerating.

At least, that is the way Google counts it. I also use another counting service and they say I have only logged 800,000 page views. But, hey, that means I get to celebrate again next year, right? The business of counting page views seems to be a lot more complicated than you might think, since Google and Statcounter both regularly log groups of hits that the other doesn't register. But, anyway, now the log I see every time I log in says more than a million. Since the median blog has zero readers, that feels like something of an accomplishment.

I seem to get 100 to 150 visitors a day to the main page, representing about twice that many regular readers. the rest of the page views are people directed to particular pages by Google, or sometimes by a link somebody else has posted. A lot of these casual readers are students; you can see that one of my biggest post this month has been my review of The Fall of Rome, which must be assigned in a lot of classes.

Now I have to think of a way to celebrate.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not surprised. I read your Blog daily. Your work is much appreciated.

Khadija said...

Ha ha, I swear it's me. I have spent a whole day reading your lovely blog! Best entertainment ever. Have you ever thought of creating a youtube channel?

Many thanks for your wonderful blog!

Khadija said...

Maybe you should celebrate by starting a youtube channel. Take it to another level.

John said...

I celebrated by baking a decadent chocolate cake and eating a huge piece of it.

Jason said...

Love the blog, John. Try to swing by every day. Keep up the great work!